An ideal candidate at mainstages possess the following traits:
- They are a theater student at university, recent graduate or a professional working in theater education.
- They love kids and have experience working in the realm of children's theater (preferably within a camp setting).
- They are confident administering a curriculum and communicating to reach goals.
- They are goal driven, take initiative, and successfully know how to negotiate "drama" both onstage and off.
- They have a strong moral compass and take pride in their reputation.
- They are talented and are enthusiastic to spend the summer in a scenic rustic setting.
- They work well independently and as part of a community.
- That have a creative teaching style and innovative problem solving skills.
Camp staff have the following responsibilities:
- Teach theater one to four hours daily as part of selective and daily programming for children spanning in ages from 3-16.
- Direct and produce 1-2 major musicals or shows during the summer.
- Collaborate positively with music, art and dance specialists.
- Serve as a bunk counselor with an assigned age group.
- Provide feedback and suggestions for curriculum modification.
- Serve as an employee of the camp in which you are placed and follow the rules and guidelines that those camps have established.
- Commit for the entire duration of the contract (June- August).
Camp contracts are typically 8 weeks in length and include salary and room/board for the duration of the contract. Teaching artists and Theater Directors are also provided continuing support such as curriculum, scripts, costumes, props, and backdrops.
We offer summer camp opportunities at locations across the United States. Click here to see available job opportunities.
Our year-round teachers and performers have the following responsibilities:
- Perform in and represent mainstages at interactive performances and game shows.
- Arrive at performances on-time and communicate with mainstages in a timely manner.
- Attend rehearsals as needed.
- Greet and interact with audiences of all ages in a professional manner.
- Teach the values and theatrical life skills set forth by mainstages.
NYC applicants with access to a vehicle are encouraged to apply for year-round positions!
We encourage you to check out the perks and logistics of the job!
Click here to meet our most recent summer teaching artists and theater directors.
Check out our FAQ's