Joining the mainstages team is a highly rewarding opportunity that requires your focus. Here are some important logistics to help you understand a position with us.
- This job requires a full immersion into camp life. You will be asked to commit for the entire summer contract (8 weeks within early June to mid-August). For that reason, this job works best for those that can navigate around the realities that potentially halt adventure such as rent/mortgages, pets, significant others, family needs, and any other responsibilities that require ongoing attention.
- For sleep-away camps you will be housed in staff or camper bunks, base on availability, and day/night camper supervision is considered a part of the role. While you may have the opportunity to go home for the evening at day camps, with limited hours in the day, changes can be made in an instant and present challenges to class scheduling and developing a show or presentation.
- You will have additional responsibilities outside of teaching and directing theater at the camp, usually assisting in counseling duties and/or planning special programs and events. You will be expected to be good with kids as well as good with theater, and it goes without saying, pass all background and reference checks.
- In addition to salary, as indicated on our jobs page, you do have all meals, lodging and expenses paid during the summer, which cut your living costs to nothing during the contract. mainstages teaching artists, on average, earn 10% MORE coming through us as opposed to other summer placement services. That being said you do not get rich working at summer camp and these opportunities are for those looking to gain experience, grow creatively, see the great outdoors, and make an impact in educational theater and on youth around the country.
- Flexibility is key to success at camp. If you have open expectations and a willingness to try new experiences, you will find yourself in line for a worthwhile opportunity. For more information, please take a look at our FAQ's.
Click here to check out the many awesome perks of the job!